FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- What is the mission of FLC? Growing together in faith! Everything we do and say at FLC is to help people grow in their relationships with Jesus Christ. Our mission statement says, “We are a congregation rooted in our heritage and branching to our future. We seek to reach out to all people by growing together in faith and providing support for a Christian life.”
- What is the size of FLC? Over 1300 people comprising of more than 550 households call First Lutheran their church home. The average age is around 40 years old, with just over 26% aged 18 or younger and just over 26% aged 66 or older.
- Is FLC handicapped accessible? Yes. There are two handicapped accessible entrances. One is just off 4th street and the other is through a carport entrance on the north side of the church. There is an elevator that provides access to both levels of the facility.
- Is FLC’s sanctuary air-conditioned? Yes.
- What can you tell me about the staff of FLC? First Lutheran is served by nineteen paid staff: 4 pastors, 4 music staff, 3 program staff, 3 office staff, 3 custodians and 2 nursery helpers. FLC also supports Dr. Mark Jacobson (deployed staff) as a medical missionary in Tanzania. For more information about the staff, click here.
- What is the worship schedule? Worship is offered at 8:30 and 10:00 am on Sunday mornings. We worship with traditional Lutheran liturgy at the first service led by our beautiful Moller pipe organ. The second service is blended and led by song leaders. For more information about worship, click here.
- When are Sunday School classes offered? Sunday school is offered for grades Preschool – 6th grade during the same time as our worship services. Preschool – 4th grade begin with a 15 minute opening of singing and usually offer an anthem on the third Sunday of the month during worship. 5th and 6th grades begin the hour in their classroom. An adult education class is offered at 10:00 in the Fireside Room. For more information about the Children’s Sunday School, click here.
- What can you tell me about confirmation classes? Confirmation classes are offered for 7th and 8th graders on Wednesday evenings during the school year with breaks for Christmas and Lent. 9th graders participate in a mentoring program. For more information about confirmation, click here.
- Can anyone commune at FLC? All baptized Christians who believe in the real presence of Christ in the forms of bread and wine (regardless of church affiliation or background) are welcome to commune at FLC. Uninstructed children may come forward for a pastoral blessing. For more information about Holy Communion, click here.